is a publication of the Instituto Panamericano de Geografía e Historia (IPGH).
The IPGH is an international, scientific and technical organ of Organization
of the American States (OAS). It was created on February 7, 1928 during the
VI International Conference celebrated in La Habana, Cuba at the Ministerial
level of OAS. The seat of the Institute was established in Mexico City. In
1949, the Institute signed an agreement with the Council of the Organization
of American States and it became its first specialized organ. The IPGH has
been advanced by distinguished investigators and scientists, as well as
authorities at the highest levels in the member states.
Members include: Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa
Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, the United States of America, Guatemala, Haiti,
Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic,
Uruguay and Venezuela.
The category of Permanent Observer of the IPGH also exists; Spain, France,
Israel and Jamaica have this status.
The IPGH has supported and contributed to the advance of specialized
knowledge in the areas of cartography, geography, history and geophysics.
With the purpose of maintaining permanent communications to follow up new
developments to the investigators and scientific institutions of the member
states it has created journals focused in each of the mentioned areas. The
institute publishes the
with the support of an assigned budget from their Commission of Geography.
The journal has relationships with National and Military Geographic
Institutes of America. It also has presence in respected education and
research centers related to Geography and the generation, handling and
management of geospacial information.
deals with aspects related to the regionalization, the territorial ordering,
multi-temporary studies of the environment, application of the geospacial
information for sustainable development and use in the mitigation of the
effects caused by disasters as well as the planning for its prevention. Its
articles are created and mainly intended for students and professionals of
the States Members. The journal receives and publishes contributions in
Spanish, English, French and Portuguese.
has published twice a year since 1941. The papers are received by the
Publishing Committee and the journal is printed and distributed
from Mexico, either by subscription or by exchange with diverse academic
institutions around the world. It is also available online in LatAm-Studies
For more information, please visit: